Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Beaver Mystery

Finn had spent the afternoon playing at Jack's house. On the way home we had the following conversation.


"Mum, what's a beaver?"
"It's a large rodent that lives in the water, builds dams, gnaws down trees, you know...."
"Not that kind. A different beaver."
"A different beaver? No, don't know what that is."
"You do, Mummy. The human kind."
"Pardon?"
"The kind that humans have...."


At this point, the hackles on my neck started to rise - surely Jack's big sisters are not big enough to start corrupting my son? I turned the radio off.


"Whose been telling you this?"
"You, Mummy."
"I told you about the kind of beaver that humans have?"
"The beaver that humans get, you know, we bought something."
"We bought something for the kind of beaver that humans get? Where did we buy it?"
"At Wegman's."






Panic over and suspecting a mis-understanding, I pulled out the deerstalker and magnifying glass.


"Is it something to eat?"
"Yes. It's something to get rid of beavers. You bought it for me."
"I see. And have you eaten it already?"
"No. Not yet."
"Can you remember what it looks like?"
"No."
"is it still at home?"
"Yes."
"Where?"
"In the cupboard with the medicine."


And the penny drops.


When I had stopped howling with laughter.....


"Finn, did you mean we bought something to get rid of 'FEVERS'?

No comments:

Post a Comment